Saturday, August 23, 2008

4th street, Loisaida ave to 106th street, Central park west

I walked down 4th st. I had Just been looking at a room for rent. The street was completely transformed back to the 70-ties. It was NYPD Blue producer David Milch shooting (probably not him behind the camera) a new HBO series "Last of the ninth". It was fascinating walking down the street, all the actors in their 70-ties clothing, old cars parked along the street, blood on the pavement. I know a lot of the people living in the neighborhood don't like it. It's noisy, people can't get to their doors. They cant drive their cars there. And they've been shooting for days. I walked further up the street and got on the F-train on 2nd ave. There was a fat, hairy man standing in the carriage. His gray hair was long and he was wearing a Hawaii shirt with top three buttons open. He was wearing an advertisement sign. Brazilian waxing. He was wearing an ad for Brazilian waxing. If I was in a position were I was overweighing to get my privates waxed (and was a girl), I would under no circumstances get advise from this guy! Three young kids got on the train and had a dance show for a somewhat uninterested audience.

The train stoped at W 4th st. On the platform was a man in a wheel chair. He was very classy, I would guess, he was a typical city republican. His haircut simular to the one of Niles from the TV-series Fraisher (it was a bit fluffier). He had sand colored suit and sand colored leather gloves. But he wasn't a Republican. He had a huge Barack Obama button on his chest. He drove a bit forward, then he turned around 360 degrees and drove on. On the back rest of the chair was an inscription: Torture and secret prisons are illegal and un-American!

I boarded the C train going uptown. The metro here seems to go really fast, don't know if it's my imagination or if it actually moves faster than other metros I've been on. The wagons are shaking and the lights keep flickering. I'm impressed by one homeless (I guess he was) person, who probably spends a lot of his time on the sub. Every time the Metro stops or starts, I have to hold on to something not to loose my balance. He was rock steady the hole trip without holding on to something at all. The seaman of the city. I stand, kind of nonchalant, against the wall, reading, trying to blend in. It's actually working. Less people is approaching me to sell me counterfeit Chanel bags. Now they ask me for directions ( OK that is an exaggeration, but still).

I saw Neysa Malone on the train. I've never heard of her befor, and that's maybe not so strange. She had a bucket with cd's, a small amplifyer and a microphone with her. Her name and myspace address was written all over the bucket: http://www.myspace.com/neysamalone. She wasn't nearly as fresh in real life as she's on the web page. She looked really tired and sad.

I got of at W 110th street and walked down Columbus ave. I went in to one of the many corner Deli´s. I haven't been to many of these, but all of them seem to be very full of life, literary. There is a lot of attitude inside. Not in a scary way, More like the typical hollywood portrait of a bit large afro-American woman. Snap, Snap mm hmmm. There is a lot of friendly shouting. I got my self a Pastrama and grill cheese roll.

No comments: