Monday, September 8, 2008

The Park and The Ballroom

















Had a Lovely Sunday yesterday. Started the day of with a long walk and a coffee in Central Park with E. It felt very New York-ish. I nearly was run over by a walker, a runner and a rollerblader. The runner seemed really angry, I guess it was because I was walking clockwise around the water and you should go counter clockwise. Fucking tourist!

Later me, E,G and C (these capital letters are starting to get quite ridiculous) went to a concert at the Bowery Ballroom. It was a beautiful venue. Downstairs was a really old bourgeois inspired bar, were they still used the old school cash register. Upstairs was a classic theater looking stage with a nice mezzanine.

The first band playing, Monotonix, was absolutely mental. They had placed them self in the middle of the floor, surrounded by the audience. They played some kind of r'n'r mixed with stone and balkan. The lead singer, a hairy man with red shorts, Axel Rose style, ran back and fort like crazy. He had a SM inspired game with the drummer. Strangling him with the microphone cord. Putting a garbage bin on his head and beating him. But the drummer kept his pace. Towards the end of this set the band got on top of the bar. And I don't mean just the persons but the instruments including the drum kit. From there they played their last songs while the lead singer was drinking beer of his shoes, throwing ice cubes and lime slices at us and the audience were dancing like they were in the "Smells like teen spirit" video. I wouldn't have recommended anyone to buy their CD, but if you get the chance to see them live, you have to go!

I met this interesting tiny woman there. She sure knew how to talk. It just never stopped. She was so turned on by the singer in Monotonix. "That wild beast! I just got to have that hairy man. That's every little girls dream, to have a trash bin on your head and be beaten. Not all the time though. Oh my god I need him!". She thought I smelled good and for that reason she thought I was gay, "What team are you playing on? I just wanna be sure". When she found out that I was straight she said that if she didn't get the singer, she wanted to take me home. I told her to stick with the singer, "I'm sure he's much more fun". She claimed to be an excellent figure drawing model as well, that she would be a challenge to draw. "I've got a lot of texture. My thighs looks like the Grand Cannyon."

The second band playing, Silver Jew, was much more mellow. I'm sure the guy who have written the songs has listened a lot to Nick Cave, Bob Dylan and Tindersticks. Absolutly worth checking out.

No comments: