Monday, November 3, 2008

Graffiti and Voodoo

I've been really bad at visiting museums here in New York, there are so many I should have been to. This weekend I finally felt inspired and went both to the New Museum and P.S.1.

P.S.1 was an amazing museum with so many interesting spaces. I wonder what the building used to be (I'll have to Google that). It is a part of MoMa, located in Queens, were they are showing changing contemporary shows. The main show which was up now was a curated group show called NeoHooDoo: art for a forgotten faith. It was a interesting show, though I can't say I care much for the name. The show was very much about cultural heritage and spirituality in contemporary American art (and by contemporary I mean the 70ties and 80ties, and by American I mean the whole of America including South and Latin America). My favorite piece in that show was Adrian Piper's photo series "Food for the Spirit". There was also a show by Norwegian artist Børre Sæthre, an installation by Olafur Eliasson and the amazing installation "Swimming Pool" by Leandro Erlich.

On the 7 line to the museum, I saw this amazing city block, entirely covered with graffiti, right across from P.S.1. I have no clue when it comes to aerosol art, but there were some really great pieces! The walls, the roof top and windows, everything painted. I later found out that it was an outside gallery devoted to graffiti art called 5pointz.

No comments: